[Japan] How to Import Electronic Products in Japan

If you wish to manufacture electronic products in Japan or import electronic products to Japan, you need to confirm whether your products are “Specified Electronic Products”(特定電気用品) or “Non-Specified Electronic Products” (特定電気用品以外) under 電気用品安全法施行令(Order for Enforcement of the Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law).  Certain products require approval from the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI or 経済産業相) for importing such as chemical weapons and endangered animals, etc., and these products are not covered under this article.

If Specified Electronic Products are manufactured in Japan or imported to Japan, the manufacturer or importer needs to follow the below steps for compliance:

(1) Find out whether Specified Electronic Products or Non-Specified Electronic Products (total of 457 specified electronic products).
Specified Electronic Products (116 items): https://www.meti.go.jp/policy/consumer/seian/denan/specified_electrical.html

Non-Specified Electronic Products (341 items)

(2) Notify relevant office of METI called 事業届出 (Jigyou Todokede).    There are nine METI offices across Japan, and such notice needs to be sent to the right oen.
Hokkaido(北海道), Tohoku(東方), Kanto(関東), Chubu(中部), Kinki(近畿), Chugoku(中国), Shikoku(四国), Kyushu(九州) and Cabinet Office(内閣府)Okinawa Branch.  https://www.meti.go.jp/policy/consumer/seian/denan/contact.html

This is only the notice, and approval is not required.  The template for such notice can be found below. https://www.meti.go.jp/policy/consumer/seian/denan/procedure_03.html
You should obtain a copy of the submitted notification for your record.   This notification should be submitted no later than 1 month after the commence of operation (of manufacturing or import). 

(3) Ensuring that Electronic Products comply with the technical standards set by the Japanese government.

(4) If Specified Electronic Products, then Certificate of Comformity should be obtaining after testing the Electronic Products. Such certificate’s original should be kept at the registered office in Japan. 

(5) Before selling manufactured goods or importing the same, self inspection should be conducted. The copy of such reports should be kept at the registered office in Japan.

(6) Labels such as PSE logo should be put on the electronic products. 

After complying with all the above procedures, you can manufacture in Japan or import to Japan.

If you require assistance with importing Electronic Products to Japan, contact Visence Professional Services for assistance.